Happy Thanksgiving, dear American readers! Here are two random holiday tips:
When tempted to shop Black Friday or Cyber Monday, there are two categories one should avoid, as prices will be lower at other times.
- Jewelry: Prices often increase around holidays and even discounts will be minimal; best times will be early January and then again after Valentine’s Day.
- Coats: Prices will be lower at the end of the season. Of course, if there’s something you need AND want, it may be sold out if you wait too long.
When faced with a huge holiday meal, don’t end up more stuffed than the turkey. (This applies to any large meal, especially when family’s involved!)
- Your brain can only crave 3 or 4 foods at a time. So before you load up your plate, circle the buffet or table and decide which are the items you most want to eat and only take your favorites.
- Don’t gobble, gobble! Eat s-l-o-w-l-y and take a 5+ minute break after you’ve eaten. This will give your stomach time to tell your brain whether you’re still hungry.
- If actually hungry, or you simply want to be polite, go back for round two but only take small tastes of any remaining foods you didn’t sample.
- Love sweets? Plan ahead to leave room for dessert and don’t fill up on everything else.
Wishing you a wonderful holiday — I’m thankful to be connected to all of you!