You can’t! Arguments are inevitable; just accept it.
We’re currently in packing hell, surrounded by boxes, bubble wrap and furniture that suddenly grew three sizes when we weren’t looking.
To minimize the inevitable stress that arises when two strong-willed people want to do things their own way, I’m attempting to adopt these 10 simple rules:
- Start every day by saying that no matter how much your partner will irritate you in the hours ahead, you love and forgive them in advance.
- Limit your fights to once per day.
- Tell your partner they’re right, no matter how idiotic their suggestion is.
- Work in different parts of the house.
- Don’t roll your eyes.
- Have two tape rollers, markers and other materials so you’re not waiting impatiently for the other person to finish putting their box together.
- Shower early and often.
- Ruthlessly donate anything and everything you don’t want to pack. And…
- Encourage your partner to get rid of ugly crap from another life, ideally without identifying it as “ugly crap”.
- Drink heavily at 5:00 or as soon as practical (some days, this could be lunchtime).