This year, two friends have become widows at a young age and I’ve been thinking how hard it must be to lose your partner, especially if you were together for a long time.
This in turn has led me to contemplate the opposite situation: how liberating it is to get rid of a bad relationship. Let’s talk about that instead of something sad.
Think about it: there’s a lot to appreciate about a crappy relationship!
The Upside While You’re In It
- You can concentrate your anger and frustration on one individual instead of spreading it around
- You develop a rich fantasy life, often involving that person being hit by a car or falling off a cliff
- Your own faults pale by comparison
- Your life is much more dramatic
- There’s always a new story to share with your friends
- You become much more knowledgeable about alcohol
- You can be sure your tear ducts are working
- There’s usually ice cream in the house
And When It’s Over
- Your murderous rage subsides
- You don’t have to watch endless sports/chick flicks
- You’re no longer subjected to someone else’s bodily functions
- You’re free from your partner’s annoying friends and family
- You can wear, eat and do whatever you want
- You can have sex with yourself, which is probably an improvement
- You have lots more free time
- You only have to attend your own boring business events
- You’ll really appreciate a GOOD relationship