I just read about a brilliant way to lull yourself to sleep — or back to sleep if, like me, you tend to wake up in the middle of the night.
- Think of a letter — either at random or start at the beginning of the alphabet.
- Visualize a word beginning with that letter, e.g. “apple” for A. Don’t choose anything you’re phobic about, such as clowns, heights or spiders.
- Keep thinking of new words beginning with the same letter (“avocado”, “armadillo”…) and take time to picture each one.
- When you run out of images, move on to a new letter.
- Keep going until you nod off.
I tried this in the middle of the night and bored myself back to sleep in record time!
Have a great, sleep-filled weekend, and Happy Mother’s Day to all of you who are mothers, about-to-be mothers, or have ever had a mother.