A New Year’s Resolution: I will search for answers to life’s pesky little problems and share my finds with all of you.
#1: How to open a stubborn jar lid
Let’s assume that brute strength has not done the trick. Here are some options:
1) Improve your grip
- Put plastic wrap over the lid and twist.
- Place a rubber band around the lid and twist.
- Put on a rubber glove and twist. (Anyone else reminded of Chubby Checker??)
2) Tap around the edge of the cap with a wooden spoon. This should release the air pockets of the vacuum seal. It’s also less likely to shatter the jar than banging it on your countertop.
3) Still stuck? Turn your jar upside down and place in a bowl filled with hot water. After about 30 seconds, the lid should loosen.
4) For sticky stuff (honey, molasses, etc.), plan ahead. Cover the jar opening with plastic wrap before you put the lid back on. (This also helps with paint cans.)
#2 How to quickly chill wine or beer
Uh oh — unexpected, thirsty guests have arrived! Wrap a damp paper towel around the bottle or cans and place them in the freezer. They will chill much faster than without the towel. Do not forget they are in the freezer! (Yes, I have done this and then had to clean up the resulting mess.)