I made this yesterday and it was too good not to share!
SPICED PUMPKIN LOAF
You will need a small loaf pan, approximately 5″ x 9″ x 2-2 ½”
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp salt
¾ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup canned pumpkin*
½ cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
¼ cup milk
Powdered sugar for dusting (or make glaze, below)
1. Oil and flour the loaf pan or use baking spray (Tip: spray your pan in the dishwasher to avoid getting it all over your countertop!)
2. Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
3. Combine flour, baking soda, powder, spices and salt in a bowl and set aside.
4. In bowl of a stand mixer, combine sugars, vanilla, pumpkin, butter, eggs and milk. Mix until smooth.
5. Add flour mixture and mix until you have a smooth batter.
6. Pour batter into the loaf pan and bake 40-50 minutes or until done. (Test by inserting a toothpick into the center of the loaf. It should come out clean or with a few crumbs.)
7. Cool for 10 minutes, then turn over onto a plate to cool completely.
8. Dust with powdered sugar or glaze.
In a small bowl combine: 1 cup powdered sugar, ½ tsp vanilla, 4-5 tsp milk (just enough for a thin icing you can drizzle over the cake.)
*NOTE: By mistake, I used about 1½ cups of pumpkin. It was very moist and needed another 15 or so minutes to bake fully but was delicious. If you prefer a wetter consistency use the larger amount and just keep checking for doneness!