What could be more springy and inviting than the cheerful green color of peas? This quick and easy recipe uses fresh or frozen peas to capture the brightness of the season.
Easy Peasy Quick Pea Soup
- ½ cup minced Vidalia onion or shallots
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBSP minced garlic
- 4+ cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 bags (about 2 lbs.) of frozen peas or equivalent amount of fresh, shelled peas
- 1-2 tsp kosher salt, to taste
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- Tiny splash of fresh lemon juice
- Optional: Greek yogurt; chopped scallions or chives; parsley; sliced ham, pancetta or prosciutto
- Sauté the onion or shallots in 1-2 TBSP of olive oil until they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock and peas, 1 tsp each of salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer, add lemon juice and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add more liquid if soup is too thick. Season to taste if more salt or pepper is desired.
- Using an immersion blender, purée the soup until creamy.
- A dollop of yogurt and a sprinkling of chives
- Fresh parsley
- Crispy ham, pancetta or prosciutto: Heat oven to 425°F. Roast pieces on a baking sheet for about 5 minutes until crisp, and crumble on top.
Yield: approximately 4-6 servings